Sunday 10 October 2010

Bucket List - reversed (3)

The background to these series of posts is in the first three paragraphs of (1), which you can read here.

13.  My sister gave birth to my niece Veronica in April 1979, and she has been a source of joy and affection ever since. With her husband Ben she has continued the line and two years ago gave me a great nephew, of whom I’m very proud.

Early 1980's

Late 1980's, Argentina
First day at school in England

Veronica's Graduation Day in Aberystwyth,
with my parents either end, myself and John

Veronica and Ben, around their engagement

Their wedding day July 2005

Veronica and Ben's son Duncan
  
14.  In the 80’s we went to a society wedding at which actor Karen Dotrice and comedian Jasper Carrott were present.  I was photographed with the former, link here (Pic No. 16).  My husband had been at school with the groom and his twin, and their father was at the time Chairman of Birmingham City Football Club.  We sometimes had privileged seats at their home games but I have to say this was lost on me, as I don’t find football ‘a beautiful game’ by any stretch of the imagination.  Predictably I just wanted to scoff the nice food at half time.


15.  The Falklands/Malvinas Conflict, 1982. 
For the first time in my life I wept bitterly over a situation which was unconnected to my personal life.  It felt as though I had warring parents, both of whom I loved but was powerless to stop.  Whatever the rights and wrongs, I still loved them both dearly.  I was very familiar with the issues, which are taught in every classroom in Argentina, but my feelings have never wavered:  the era of colonialism has passed, for everybody, and they should no more be ‘owned’ by Britain than by Argentina.  Clearly the islands lack many basics, so will always be heavily reliant on goods and services from other countries, but they should be left in peace to pursue their lives as they think best.  The fact that the inhabitants have British ancestors and lean towards Britain is a result of neglect of the islands by Argentina going back centuries up until some 50 years ago.  This is what I feel they should put right, by mending fences with the islanders.

16.  My gentle and loving partner John, who came into my life 23 years ago in 1987 and is one of a very small group of people whose unconditional love I trust to be true and long term. In a world full of broken dreams he has been my North star and my safe harbour.

In the early 1980's, before I knew him

Late 1980's

Mid 1990's

Early noughties

2007

-oOo-

Photo Finish:
from Lonicera's non-digital archives

Odds and ends

John's radio-controlled boat, "El Churro"

Cathedral in City of Salta, Argentina


 Road to the foothills of the Andes in the
Province of Salta, Argentina




Sunday cricket, Portishead




Bristol Opera Company:  Don Carlos (Verdi) 1992



-oOo-


6 comments:

Joyful said...

I've just been reading some of the verbal abuse you suffered through you ex and am so pleased to see you met a decent and good man. Hugs xx

Tina said...

What a lovely bucket list :) Your pictures of John are especially lovely.

xxxooo

THE DASH! said...

All I can say is WOW! As usual you teach me something and keep me entertained visually. I loved the pics of your gorgeous man ... a step through time. xx

Lonicera said...

Thank you Joyful - I wish I had realised at the time that I didn't have to put up with it... I had to be in my fifties before I really understood.
Thanks Tina - unbeknown to John I'm planning for his birthday in November to do an album with all the photos I can find, plus the poems (amusing ones) he's written that are still around. I recently found a website that will tie it all up professionally, and I'm enjoying assembling it all.
He's a lovely person Cara, and puts up with all my ups and downs with love and (most of the time!) understanding.
Caroline

Sandy said...

Loving following along with your memories.

Vagabonde said...

This was a truly interesting bucket list. I am pleased that you found John and happiness.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...